Follow our family as we build our dream house and live our life in between.

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Soapstone install, day 1.

Our soapstone arrived a couple weeks ago.  The FedEx called me on a Friday and told me they were on their way and then asked me if I had access to a forklift to unload it off the truck.  Um... No, I do not have a forklift.  Well after much discussion, we finally decided to wait till Monday so Loy could use the tractor to get it off.  He said it was very stressful and nerve-racking.  But he got it off and in the garage waiting till we can working on it.  My mom and dad arrived on the following Thursday to help.  Friday, after a final (or so we thought) trip to Lowe's Loy and my dad got started.  By late lunch they had gotten the first piece cut and up on the cabinets.  I went with them after lunch to help with the next piece.  They got it cut and we were carrying it inside and my dad tore a muscle in his bicep and he was out of commission for the remainder.


Cutting the stone.  He used a diamond blade on his circular saw.  Dad held the vacuum.  It was VERY dusty cutting that stuff.


Look that dust.  That dust is EVERYWHERE now.  Had to wear masks and glasses.

A couple of the pieces were oiled when they got to our house so you can kinda see what it will look like oiled.

At the end of day one this is what was done.  Two pieces installed, or at least on the cabinets.

Also placed the sink that night.  

This is one of my had-to-have items.  This is a fireclay farmhouse sink.  It is the 36" sink and it is really big, but I like it.  I wasn't going to get the bigger one, but at the time we were purchasing it the 30" was still in production and wouldn't be done in time.  But our contractor worked his magic and we got the bigger one for the same price as the smaller.

When the day was done, we had one tired  little boy.  He worked hard.  He was waiting for dinner to finish cooking and he fell asleep.  LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment