Follow our family as we build our dream house and live our life in between.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Making progress...slowly.

I decided I was ready to start working on a flower bed for the front of the house about 3 weeks ago.  I took some "before" pictures (but I won't post those till I have the "after" pictures too) and dug in, literally.  I laid out the shape with the water hose

Then I dug the cut the sod out, then rolled it all, all by myself, then moved it to other spots that needed it, all by myself.  It was tough work.  I rolled it while squatting for about 2.5 hours.  I was sore for the next three days!!

Then I added plastic edging and got the kids to help me.

Then about a week later I decided to rent a tiller to turn the dirt over because it was so tough.  Being around the house it got lots of traffic, large equipment, trucks, lots of stuff compacting that soil so hard it was just holding water and not soaking in at all and I could not even get the shovel to turn it over in some places.

Here is Loy using it for me.  But before this, he had to use the tractor and the box blade to break the soil up because that is how hard it was, the tiller couldn't even dig in!  And this is the way it sits.  I have done some work on it.  I wanted to add leaves to it then put weed fabric over it, but without something (mulch) to go over it to hold it down it did no good.  I worked, in the wind (stupid I know, but when you have a moment you take it), gathering and spreading leaves and then putting down the fabric for about an hour for it all to go to waste in the end because the wind blew it all away.  Boo...  So I will not do anymore work on that till I can have the mulch in hand to put on top of the fabric to hold it down.  I plan to go get the free mulch, but timing and finding it.  Humph...

Here are a picture of some flowers that broke off the plants I bought at Lowe's on clearance. 



And here is a sneak peak of our next project we started this last weekend...
More on this soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment